Saturday, October 15, 2011

Parque de Las Palmeras

Tomorrow marks the fourth week I have been living in Alicante, Spain.

They say when doing an exchange program that the first month is the hardest, because everything is an adjustment: the food, the culture, the timing of meals, the education, your family, the city, and of course the language! If the first month is the hardest, I am in for the year of my life. Yes, I have had some struggles-- the first day of school a girl put a mouse in my desk, I have been yelled at by teachers countless times, I can't really join conversations, and I miss my Mommy-- but I have already learned so much about the spanish culture and language that I can't wait to dive into the next seven months and push myself to talk with people even though I have been struggling.


My host sister, Maria and my host mom, Lyana are so great! They have been so supportive and welcoming, they have definitely made my transition easier, not to mention Lyana's cooking is amazing. She has taught me to make so many cool things, from apreas (in previous post) to quick and easy lemon pie!


Last weekend on Sunday we took a 15 minutes bus ride to a park in another area of Alicante. The park is called: Parque de Las Palmeras, all you have to do is take the Number 1 bus all the way to the end, and you will find yourself in paradise. We spent about two hours walking through the dirt paths of the botanical gardens. There are so many palm trees and beautiful waterfalls everywhere! Unfortunately, my pictures are not in the right format but here is a small sample.







On a lot of the smaller palms there were dates! We couldn't eat them but they were the brightest yellow and so much smaller than I thought they were, they gave the park a somewhat pumpkin pie like smell. I was surprised when the smell lingered beneath my nose all afternoon, until I realized my hands were covered in the caramelly-sap of the fruit tree.





No comments:

Post a Comment