Thursday, September 22, 2011

The first week

Hello All!
This will be a place where I can share stories, ideas, pictures and news about my year in Spain. I hope you enjoy it and will keep up with what I am up to.

I have been in Alicante, Spain for almost a week now. It is one of the coolest places I have ever been. There are mountains surrounding the city, a castle at one end, and the Mediterranean Sea takes up the eastern barrier of the city. My host family could not be more perfect, I live with my host mom, Lyana, my host sister María, and another exchange student Daniella. We all get along great and the food Lyana makes is to die for. She and my mother could do a Bobby Flay Throwdown, it would be very close.

The only thing that is difficult so far is school. All the classes are lecture style, move very fast, and are in spanish. I am always saying "no entiendo mucho," I don't understand much. Not being able to make friends easily because of my lack of spanish communication skills is hard, but everyone is kind and understanding. It has only been a week, so I have yet to set up any sports or dance classes, but those are two things I would really like to do.

I got lost in the city today when I went for a run/walk. I thought it would have scared me, but I just kept walking and eventually found my way home. I could not retrace my steps again, but I was surprisingly calm, and I saw more on my own then I would have while talking with María or someone else.

So far, I love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment