Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Neighborhood Find

Where I am living in Alicante is a mostly residential area, about a five-ten minute walk from the center of the city. It is perfect because it is quiet enough to be homey, but close to everything. It is also perfect because it has the best bakery. Note: this is my first attempt at food writing, we'll see how it goes.


Today, while everyone at home was still asleep (at 12:30pm), I decided to go for a walk to explore a little more of our neighborhood that I had not seen. I have walked by and through the small markets, the cheese and chorizo shop and Fred's Frutas y Verduras but I had yet to go down any side streets. When I left for my walk, I left with the thought that maybe I could find a croissant for breakfast. The croissants I have had so far in Spain leave much to be desired, Spain does paella and tortilla espanola and France does croissants, it is that simple. So, when I saw this bakery I assumed I would pick up a mediocre croissant and maybe a small pastry. 

Although my photography skills are lacking, I think it is clear the assortment of flaky buttery bakery goods is extensive. I got a croissant and what I thought was a miniature donut with some sugar on it. I also got a small fried looking pastry with an unknown filling and what looked like a chocolate chip cookie. I got all of these items for 1,75 Euros. 

Adjacent to the pastries is a case of fine deserts, it looked like a range between flan, chocolate cake and fruit tarts. First on my list to try when I go back is the eclair looking dessert. 

The choices I made were, interesting. The fried pastry was filled with a licorice filling; I hate licorice, and until today I didn't think anything could make it taste good. Picture a fried wonton, coated in sugar, filled with the sweetest anise flavor. I was shocked when I first tasted the licorice taste and even more shocked when I liked it. It was definitely something I would get again, after I try everything else. What I thought were donuts and a chocolate chip cookie turned out to be short bread of different sorts. Again, that would not have been my first choice, but it tasted like butter (in my opinion a very good thing) with a little bit of sweet chocolate or sugar to compliment the savory taste. And now, this brings me to the croissant which I saved for last to eat at home with Bi frutas juice in Mediterráneo flavor (peachy, apple V8 like drink). 

The croissant was not like the others I have had in Spain. This one rivaled the best of Paris and Standard Bakery (Portland, ME). Keep in mind, they were being taken off the baking tray when I stepped into the bakery, it was still warm when I got home and because it was so fresh it did not have time to become soggy instead of crispy. I think there must have been a whole stick of butter in the one croissant, regardless I could eat one everyday and be proud of my engorging stomach; they taste that good.  

I have found my new favorite spot for a small sweet for very cheap!

2 comments:

  1. ¡Qué bien que hayas encontrado una pastelería en tu barrio! Me parecen muy ricos, especialmente las delicias hechas con mantequilla! ¿Qué tal te va la comunicación en español?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who were asking the address of the bakery is:
    Cardenal Belluga, 4, 03005, Alicante

    Y Janice, la comunicación es un poco mejor. Poco a poco...

    ReplyDelete